Who doesn’t need a good project management tool these days? I know I do. But it sucks when you have to decide which tool to choose – there are just so many of them. I feel your headache! So, today we’re comparing two powerful project management tools. Welcome to the ClickUp vs Asana debate!
Let’s take an in-depth look at them and by the end of this article, I hope you’ll be in a better position to pick one.
Clickup is a software for project management purposes. With a beautiful interface and the intrinsic power of simplicity, ClickUp is simply perfect.
Asana can help everyone work together toward shared goals. With Asana, staying organized is simple and getting things done just got a whole lot easier.
My Personal Take
|What I Like||The interface is super clean, light and easy-to-use|
|Dependencies, custom statuses & the ability to assign tasks to multiple projects|
|Can Improve||Limitations on mobile app|
24/7 (Live rep)
Tips Before Picking A Project Management Tool
Before we begin, below are a few things to consider before you purchase any project management software.
With these tips in mind, let’s get into our clickup vs asana comparison.
ClickUp vs Asana – An Overview
Platforms: Desktop, Android, iPhone/iPad | Support: FAQs/Forum, 24/7 (Live rep), Knowledge Base, Chat, Email/Help Desk & Phone Support | Training: Documentation, In-Person, Webinars
Live Online & Videos
ClickUp makes project management much easier by combining all the essential elements of success such as to-do lists, task boards, Gantt charts, time tracking, issue tracking, live chat, and file storage. It allows you to work with other people on projects.
Since documentation is very important in project management, you get the possibility to use templates and documentation managers altogether. ClickUp integrates with more than 200 other apps through IFTTT.
ClickUp is a relatively new player in the market, but it’s gaining ground very fast. It was launched only in 2016 and yet it took the industry by storm; as of today, 4 million employees trust ClickUp.
One of the key benefits of ClickUp is its simplicity. It has a streamlined system of project management and keeps everything organized.
I love how it grouped my active projects into different sections, such as transition, visioning, and evaluation – making it easier to organize each project individually.
It’s simple to use and the UI is clean with pleasing color combinations.
Platforms: Desktop, Android, iPhone/iPad | Support: FAQs/Forum, Knowledge Base, Chat & Email/Help Desk | Training: Documentation, In-Person, Webinars
Live Online & Videos
Asana is a leading project management app that has 800K+ teams using it already.
If you’re not familiar with Asana, you should know that it was co-created by Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz and Justin Rosenstein.
Basically, Asana is an agile project management solution designed to help teams organize work, set goals, and hit deadlines – in a fun way.
With Asana, you can easily create projects and assign tasks. Asana is all about productivity, collaboration, and human insight.
Asana allows you to create tasks, manage them from anywhere in your organization and collaborate with people from anywhere in the world.
You can also pin your important task to quickly access them no matter where you are during the day.
I love how Asana’s actionable updates notify all team members when there’s important information to be shared by a certain project manager on a certain project (aka real-time communication).
What makes these two services so similar? Well, for starters – both are task-management apps with a clean UX/UI and friendly user interface. Both are also cloud-based and have mobile apps.
Key Features & Benefits
When it comes to key features, there are quite a few similarities between ClickUp and Asana. But both also have individual unique features that you won’t find in the other. Let’s take a closer look!
ClickUp Key Features
If you’re looking for something light, easy and user-friendly, you should definitely give ClickUp a try. It’s got everything you need to manage your work life and get things done. The whole system is simple enough; everything is laid out in easy-to-understand steps.
- Gantt Chart
- Native Time Tracking
- Kanban Board
- Mind Maps
- To-Do List
- ClickUp offers users a variety of different views to help manage tasks and projects.
- Users can create custom statuses for each project. Different statuses can be edited, rearranged, and colored.
- You save much time with the commands feature. Just add a / and you’ll get a list of all the task actions you need without having to grab your mouse (See clip below)
- ClickUp is a task management system that allows managers to assign tasks to several people at a time. It also allows them to manage multiple tasks seamlessly.
- Creating a workflow in ClickUp could not be easier. It has a simple UI that makes it easy to set up rules, conditions, and dependencies between tasks and projects. This makes managing your workflow really simple.
- With a clean interface, ClickUp is easy to use and very intuitive for newbies.
Cons of ClickUp
Asana Key Features
Asana is undoubtedly one of the most popular project management software platforms. It has been created to make work simpler, more intuitive, and more productive.
Just like ClickUp, Asana is also straightforward and very easy to use for anyone. I can’t start talking about Asana without mentioning its professional layout and clean design.
It makes it really easy to see what you have going on, who’s working on what, and where things stand at any given moment. Take a look at all the features of Asana below:
- Workflow Builder
- The Kanban system makes it easy to see everything that is going on in one place with well-organized boards.
- Easily streamline processes with automated workflows, templates, and add-ons to help manage tasks.
- Asana’s project portfolios facilitate progress trackings to make sure you’re meeting your goals.
- Report project status in minutes with real-time reporting
- Easily connect with teammates and communicate effectively with a shared calendar and convos.
- Filter, sort, and track specific details with custom fields.
- Create forms for a specific project and request relevant details
- Asana integrates seamlessly with your other work tools.
Personally, I’ve used both tools and there are definitely a few features I wish I could find in both. But we all know that’s not possible sometimes!
Below is a side-by-side comparison of important features in project management tools that you will find in Asana and not in ClickUp and vice-versa.
Custom Task Statuses
Native Docs & Notepad
Native Time Tracking
Billing & Invoicing
Time & Expense Tracking
Both ClickUp and Asana offer free plans and free trials. But if you want to get all the bells and whistles from these two, you might find it a little hard to do that without paying a dime.
But you can still go for a trial to warm up and see if the features fit your needs. Below are the pricing plans for both project management tools.
ClickUp Pricing Plans
- Free forever plan: best for personal use
- Unlimited $9/mo: best for small teams
- Business $19/mo: best for mid-sized teams
- Business Plus $29/mo: best for multiple teams
- Enterprise: best for large teams (contact ClickUp)
Note that you can save up to 45% when you buy the annual plan.
Asana Pricing Plans
- Basic free plan: For individuals or teams just getting started with project management
- Premium $13.49/mo: for teams that need to create project plans with confidence
- Business $30.49/mo: for teams and companies that need to manage work across initiatives.
With Asana you can save 18% on their annual plans.
The Best of Both Worlds
While there are many similarities between ClickUp and Asana, they also have their own distinct differences. They might look similar because they are project management tools.
This means they are designed to help manage tasks, projects, and deadlines in a very simple and easy-to-use system.
But as you’ll see, there is more beneath the surface of how these tools work. And if you’re looking for something a little more advanced, it may be time to think about using Asana.
Both tools have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages, so it’s hard to say that one is better than the other.
There’s no question about the fact that both companies have done a great job with their product offerings.
Because of the simple and straightforward interface and the intuitive design of ClickUp, it would be one ideal choice for beginners.
It makes it easy to get a quick overview of the tasks that need to be done and plan out the future.
It’s good to see everything laid out together in one spot so you and your team can easily see what has to be done from day to day and how long it will take before you reach your goal.
So which one is the best? Well, it’s probably best to say that both are pretty darn good at what they do.
While both are good, ClickUp is simple and minimalistic while Asana gives you a lot more. It’s no wonder these two are so popular among the software giants.
Here ends the ClickUp vs Asana debate! I’ve outlined the key features and how they can help you become a better project/task manager at work. However, the decision is yours to make.
As I said earlier, take into consideration what features you think you will need and see if the price falls within your budget.
If you are on a tight budget and if you are a solopreneur, ClickUp might be the best option for you. And if you want to manage multiple projects and collaborate with your team, Asana might be a better pick.